HANDLE WITH CARE

Dry ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide. As it warms, dry ice skips the liquid stage and turns directly from a solid to a gas (sublimates).

DO NOT TOUCH OR EAT

Dry ice is a skin and eye irritant. Avoid contact with skin, mouth, eyes and clothing. Dry ice will cause severe burns. Never handle dry ice with bare hands.

Dry ice is harmful if eaten or swallowed. If ingested, seek medical help immediately.

KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN & PETS

It is suggested not to allow anyone under the age of 18 to handle dry ice. If so, adult supervision required.

COULD CAUSE SUFFOCATION

Dry ice changes to CO2 gas as it sublimates, causing a lack of oxygen. Only use dry ice in open or well-ventilated areas. Do not store in confined spaces such as vehicles or garages and never store near an area where people sleep as suffocation could occur.

DO NOT PLACE IN AIRTIGHT CONTAINERS

Airtight containers may explode as dry ice converts to CO2 gas. Store dry ice in a container that allows for the release of gas, such as a vented cooler or Styrofoam cooler.

GUIDELINES FOR SAFE DRY ICE USE

In addition to the below, use gloves, towels or pot holders to move dry ice and use in a ventilated location.

HANDLING

The temperature of dry ice is -109° F (-79° C), cold enough to freeze skin cells and cause an injury similar to a burn. Always handle dry ice with protective gloves or a towel.

STORAGE

Store dry ice in an insulated container but not one that is airtight, such as a vented cooler or Styrofoam cooler.

As dry ice sublimates from a solid CO2 (carbon dioxide) gas, it will cause an airtight container to expand and possibly explode.

VENTILATION

Dry ice gives off CO2, which may cause difficulty breathing or suffocation. If dry ice has been in a closed vehicle or room, open the doors and windows before entering. Leave the area immediately if you have any difficulty breathing.

In a vehicle, transport dry ice in the trunk or with the windows down to provide adequate ventilation.

DISPOSAL

Do not dispose of dry ice in a toilet, sink drain, or trash can.

Allow dry ice to sublimate at room temperature, in a well-ventilated room, to avoid a harmful buildup of CO2.

Download our Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for more information, including first aid and accidental release measures.